Friday, July 23, 2010

Summer Recap - Blog Un-bog

So I promised I wouldn't get bogged down with the blog and here it is 3 months since I posted. So here's a quick recap of the first part of summer to un-bog the blog.


May 1st brought a school carnival at the elementary school Lea will attend starting in August. I can't believe it. We've gotten involved with a really nice group of people and Lea has met quite a few kids that she will be attending Kindergarten with. I volunteered at the carnival and ended up face painting. It was very fun.

I did a lot of butterflies.

But strawberries turned out to be my specialty.

That night I got free tickets to a Reverend Horton Heat show (at another elementary school fund raiser) and Dan got sick so my surrogate hubby Uncle Scumfy Hopens came with instead. It was very fun (open bar) and I managed to not spend a dime at the high tech auction.

The Rev's finale.

At a friend's garage sale Dan was gifted these very awesome tennis ball texture high tops as a goof, but he's worn them almost every day. He even got new laces that fit better - hot pink Ramones laces! He's certainly got style.

Around the end of May, when the fireflies started to show up Lea and I went out one night to Stone Tables with our nets. Lea liked playing more than catching, but we got one in a jar. Later Lea and daddy looked up lots of facts about fireflies.

Stone Tables Park at dusk waiting for the fireflies.

For Memorial day we headed to Clovis, NM to see Great Grandma Dusty Jones. Gra was at Uncle Kyle's house convalescing so we didn't get to see him, but Grandpa Dan was there. It was a day's drive and we had a good time. Our first road trip in Daddy's new van!

And staying with Grandpa and Great Grandma had its perks.

Like ice cream and cake for breakfast!

Great Grandma Dusty and Grandpa.
We went out to a friend of the families to see their horses and some other livestock.



Lea was very excited she still fit through the dog door. We were at their house when she was about 2 and she loved going through the dog door. I told her she was probably too big, but she proved me wrong. She loved playing the the dachshund Sabrina who had as much energy as Lea. Lea would say "talk her mommy" so I came up with a voice for Sabrina that said "Play with me little lady. Throw the ball little lady. I have to go check on my lady." Jake the dog was a bit more old and less energetic, but he kept a solid eye on the place. He had a gruff voice and mostly said "who is that by my fence, this is my property. I'll sniff around the fence to check for strangers. Now I gotta check inside."

Clovis has a zoo. Who knew? It was pretty big for Clovis, NM! They even had bears. Lea got her zoo glasses there for $1.

They had a zeedonk... a hybrid between a zebra and a donkey!

Our little monkey with the monkeys.

Family at the Clovis, NM zoo.

Saying good bye for our trip home out front.

Then we got to visit the Dallas zoo, thanks to a new school friend Hayden who had her 5th birthday at the zoo. The girls got to pet some animals (including a hedgehog - mommy got to pet it too. It felt like the tines on a comb) and played out in the water park in the children's area.

Each kid got to take home a friend. We got baby tiger.

We wondered around the very hot zoo and saw the new Savannah exhibit with giraffes and elephants. And on the way out Lea and I rode the carousel.

Twice! We almost made ourselves sick on the spinning nest.

And for 5 days Sherry was in town between assignments. So we all met at the Elbow Room for a little grown up refreshment.

Here's to Sherry

June 8 there was an outdoor concert by the symphony at Exall park. We brought a picnic and met Ann & Abel and the kids. Lea got a giant snow cone and got to do the bounce house for free!

We didn't make it to the end of the concert, but we had fun.

A friend of ours burst his spleen (by "jumping" out of a tree). So out of that unfortunate event came some fun for the girls in our lives. We had Anna and Molly stay the night on June 12 to help let Andrew recover and Pam have a much needed break. The girls had a wonderful time playing together. We played out back in the sprinkler and the mud.


I was worried about how 3 girls would get along, but they did great. If two were playing one would go off and find a toy to play with. But several times they played games where each one had a part and then they'd rotate, like princes, evil queen and prince. I was making lunch and one girl would come out and say "I'm the prince, I'm waiting for the evil queen to cast the spell. Oh gotta go." Then another girl would come out and say "I'm the prince." It was very cute.

And that wraps up the pre-vacation summer.

No comments: