Saturday, August 21, 2010

Starting Kindergarten

The week before school we got all of Lea's things ready and decided it would be a good time for a portrait. We went out to the school around dusk. While waiting for the photographer, a police offer drove by us 3 times, I guess just wondering what we were doing loitering. But then Robert Bunch, the photographer came and we started taking pictures and all was explained. I think the pictures came out pretty great. Lea's portrait a week before school. Doing what she does best, jumping for joy!



Then we went down about two blocks and took some more photos on a playground. Here is our happy family on the playground down the street from the school.



Lea says about school "Its fun, and I like it. My favorite part is recess." The first two weeks have been great. We've gotten on a good schedule, even though Mommy is NOT a morning person. We make it to school right around 7:30 every morning. The kids have breakfast at school, so that helps get us out the door. We even got there early last Friday and had time to play with one of our new friends.

The first week the Kindergarten kids only went until noon to ease them into it and it allowed for the teachers to meet with each family for an assessment. As I predicted Lea knocked her teacher socks off. He went through the alphabet and numbers and of course Lea answered all those questions correctly. Next he had a list of colors, but couldn't find crayons to ask "what color is this?" I said, "She can read those words." His eyes go big and he smiled. Then she read the list of about 10 colors including purple and gray. And after that he kept apologizing for asking Lea such simple questions. It was pretty great.

Lea's first day in class at her table. Lea's name was spelled wrong the first day, but we got it fixed. I was so hyped up on excitement I didn't even notice. It wasn't until I showed some friends the photo that they pointed it out.

She sat by two girls who seem to be quite a little group. Stories she brings home indicate they eat lunch together every day. Lea got moved for chatting too much on her second week, but now sits next to another girl who she eats with. We've worked on knowing when to shut our mouth and open our ears during class and for our troubles Lea came home Friday with a "student of the week" button!

Lea showing her name tag to her friend.

Lea's teacher, Mr. Leal (pronounced Lee-al) holding the door as school lets out.


Lea on her second day headed toward class with her backpack.


Lea and her friend walk into the Kindergarten building.

Lea and her friend walk into school together. Lea has her Thursday envelope, which she brings home every Thursday with her week's work and important information for us parents.

Lea racing to school.

Lea and her classmate before school on Friday morning. On Fridays they get to wear school spirit shirts instead of the usual uniform.

Lea gets music and art once a week and a P.E. type class that they call "going to coach" three times a week. Lea starts the day with Mr. Leal and then has reading with Mrs. Hansen in the morning and then math with Mrs. Hansen. Lunch with Mrs. Hansen. After lunch she has social studies and science in spanish with Mr. Leal. In a parent meeting he said by spring they would be writing some sentences in spanish about the seasons and weather after walking around the school grounds observing. So part of the day is in english and part in spanish. Lea has learned a few colors, but has some problems paying attention to pronunciation. She kind of likes to make up her own word close to what she thinks it sounds like and tries to convince me she's right. Fortunately I still remember a little of the many many years (of which I didn't pay much attention) of high school spanish. But I think its going great. At the parent meeting we learned that by second grade the will be assessed at a reading level in both English and Spanish. I am very excited about that. Lea is already reading on her own in level 1 or 2 books (some level 2 books are too hard, it depends on the series) so learning Spanish I think is an excellent challenge for her. So far we are thrilled with the people (teachers and parents) that we've met and Lea is having a ball!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i would expect no less. i love these pictures! -Auntie Kaitlin