Lea in Dan's adventure hat.
The Neals with a local in front of a Grapevine store filled with overpriced doll clothes and silly signs.
Lea and her balloon hat from a roaming clown on the only horse we saw in the stockyards. This was right after lunch at bbq with Teddy.
The perfect train photo! The way home. Did I mention it was raining?
But a little rain never stopped us Neal girls!
The next weekend was St. Pat's so we went to the parade (the bill was footed by our basketball owner [Mark Cuban] since the city said they couldn't pay for it!). We had a bar-b-q in the backyard afterward with some friends over as a big birthday bash for both Dan and I. Though not a lot of folks came, we still had had dad and sister and one couple that I've known since college. One of Lea's school mates came with her dad so she had a blast. The dad was a captive audience so he was forced to hear all our stories that everyone else already knew (ha!).
Lea found a lady bug while waiting for the parade.
The Ladybug goes for a walk.
Dan and Lea waiting for the parade. Lea and I actually spent most of the time in line for the bathroom. Because the city cut the budget there were no port-a-potties so there was a gas station with ONE potty. Us girls actually missed the beginning of the parade and the end of the parade waiting in a very long line for the ONE potty.
We were of course accompanied by our trusty side kick Uncle Scumfy (Michael Hopens)
Happy Family at the parade
The boys never give up trying to catch something good. Another year without a rubber chicken.
Lea had a little rest in the middle.
The next weekend Dan and I got to go to Houston for a work convention. A few hours of class, a few awards, free dinner and free hotel. Oh and I won a Kindle Fire! That was really exciting. Unfortunately the hotel was so far north (by the airport) that there wasn't much sight seeing to do, but I've seen most of Houston so we just enjoyed the free cable and air conditioning! Its already getting crazy hot here! It was a tough time getting there! We had a blow out and Dan had to change the driver's side tire on the busy freeway.
Here's an angry Dan after 2 hours and getting a new tire. We made it at 4:30 to the place that closed at 5pm.
That brings us to last weekend which was perhaps the most packed. I knew all of March had been filled with plans, but the 30-31 slipped by me so I kept saying "sure we can do something that weekend, we're free!"... well then we ended up with every day crammed full from sun up to sun down.
Friday Lea's school had an African Dance troop at 9am, a tree planting ceremony at 1pm in their school garden and Lea sang with the choir, then at 6pm (with me as PTA chairperson) we had a free movie night and showed HOP. Dan made popcorn from 4:30 to 7:30! We had a blast even though the air conditioning was out and it was over 80 degrees! The parents pitched in and brought fans and it was fine by the time the sun went down.
Then Saturday I hosted an Easter party for Lea's friends. They all dressed up from the dress up box, made up fancy names (Lea was Ms. Easter, we had Ella Pretty Sunshine, Ms. Elegant, Miss Sugarfairy and I was Penelope Pipsworth and Dan was Lord Chattsworth) and they had mint tea. Then we hid plastic filled eggs around the backyard and the girls all raced to find them. And finally we set up egg dye and paint in the backyard. Like years past I filled eggs with plaster so I didn't have to worry about broken boiled egg mess and smell. Some of the girls got very artistic and creative, but Lea still just likes to dip them from dye cup to dye cup until they're a greyish brown.
Then Sunday we went to another family's crawfish boil and left there with a big group of Girl Scouts to go to Disney Princesses on Ice. It was pretty cool. They basically act out the stories on Ice and when they did Rapunzel or Tangled they did acrobatics on long yellow ribbons suspended from the rafters. It was pretty cool and amazing to Lea. The grand finale brought every princess out in beautiful white and cream dresses and Mickey and Minney as King and Queen. Lea kept talking about that. It was like they were super stars! The cheers and screams from the little girls!
Then Saturday I hosted an Easter party for Lea's friends. They all dressed up from the dress up box, made up fancy names (Lea was Ms. Easter, we had Ella Pretty Sunshine, Ms. Elegant, Miss Sugarfairy and I was Penelope Pipsworth and Dan was Lord Chattsworth) and they had mint tea. Then we hid plastic filled eggs around the backyard and the girls all raced to find them. And finally we set up egg dye and paint in the backyard. Like years past I filled eggs with plaster so I didn't have to worry about broken boiled egg mess and smell. Some of the girls got very artistic and creative, but Lea still just likes to dip them from dye cup to dye cup until they're a greyish brown.
Lea pouring for her fancy friends.
The girls search for treat filled eggs.
And then the egg dying and painting began. Again I saved eggs all year and filled them with plaster. I tried adding some tempera paint to the plaster to make colored chalk, but it didn't work perfectly.
Some of the girls got very creative.
But Lea just loved dipping them in colors.
Then Sunday we went to another family's crawfish boil and left there with a big group of Girl Scouts to go to Disney Princesses on Ice. It was pretty cool. They basically act out the stories on Ice and when they did Rapunzel or Tangled they did acrobatics on long yellow ribbons suspended from the rafters. It was pretty cool and amazing to Lea. The grand finale brought every princess out in beautiful white and cream dresses and Mickey and Minney as King and Queen. Lea kept talking about that. It was like they were super stars! The cheers and screams from the little girls!
Disney on ice.
Dan dropped us off at the arena and then we took the train back near home and Dan picked us up. Lea got a 7-11 Slurpee instead of a $12 princess ice treat.
Lea got to sit on her own with her friends. These girl scouts are a year older so she said they were "taking care of her." Very responsible girls!
Now we're packing to leave for California for 4 days. Hopefully this ends the crazy busy time, but I'm sure its just a lull. Dan says I manage to fill our schedule pretty full (but he secretly enjoys it!) and I do. There's just so much fun stuff to do! And of course watching the joy of Lea makes it all magical!
No comments:
Post a Comment