Saturday, April 26, 2008

Califronia: Day 2

On Friday of our California trip... and for those who are not related to Danno (or as Dan's mom calls him, Danny B., very cute!)... we are in Stockton, CA which is I guess about an hour and a half north of San Fransico (we'll find out tonight, Saturday, because Dan and I are going out to meet an old friend, Philip in Oakland and have dinner in SF... but that's tomorrow's post).





Our first full day here started with a bit of shopping, where Mommy continued her good luck and found more cute $6 shirts! (Before I left Texas I used a Penny's gift card from JoAnn and managed to find a bizarre sale where I got 6 shirts for $6 each! My good luck continued at Lane Bryant where I got 2 shirts).

Grandma JoAnn got Lea a "webkins." Lea picked out a spotted frog that she named "Hello Frog" immediately. Lea's charms conned the sales girl into giving us the deal on the frog, even though he wasn't one of the "select" webkins offered. Lea has been carting Hello Frog around, but we haven't had a chance to go online and set him up. I've been told by expert sources, Grandma JoAnn and Kenny that the webkins are pretty darned fun. Grandma also bought marigolds (Lea insited on yellow flowers) which they planted while mommy was napping. I think I mentioned that in the last post.
Then the real fun started around 3pm. A noshfiel, if you will (Norwegian for pre-party and probably spelled very wrong) for the big birthday party on Sunday. Did I mention the day we arrived was Grandma JoAnn's birthday? And Sunday is Grandpa Ron's birthday. So we are their present... well, ok Lea is their present, Dan and I are just the bow and wrapping that made the package, tee hee.
So there were a few people couldn't make it Sunday so they came over for yummy grilled steak. Gary and Lucile Bebee - who came to our wedding and are loads of fun

Kenny, Lucille and Gary


Christy, JoAnn, Ron and Danny

Christy and Denton also came so the kids could all get to know each other.
Gary and Lucille brought one of their grandsons Ryan who turned 2 years old on Saturday.

Annie and Stephan were the defalt care givers. Both took immediate control of the tots which was great for us adults.

Stephan took good care of Ryan, saying "Mom you're right being grown up isn't good at all, it's hard. Don't have kids!" He was very helpful and good about keeping a watch on Ryan and Lea sometimes. He also made us a gourmet treat of almonds on a stick (toothpick). They were great!
Stephan and Ryan


And Annie was a good little mother and took Lea under her wing. They walked all over the house and garden holding hands. Lea sat and listened to Annie play piano for a bit (just playing around, not actual songs I don't think). But Lea couldn't help but join in and as long as Lea plays with her fingers not her whole hand Grandma JoAnn lets her play at the piano.

Annie and Lea at the piano

But mostly we kept the kids outside. Lea and Annie looked for bugs in the garden with the eye-spy, but didn't find any to Grandpa Ron's joy. The garden here is very beautiful with gigantic colorful roses and a beautiful design. Their backyard is small, but a real get away all on its own.
Lea and Annie in the garden

Ryan on the swing with Lea and Annie

I got all the grandkids to swing. Stephan was already on the swing when I asked so he participated by not participating. They may look like a motly crew, but they are great. I sat and talked to Kenny for much of the evening. He is going through a phase or perhaps identifying himself with the punk/goth/emo look, even with a promise from his mom that he can dye his hair red if he does well in school. I felt I could identify with him because I still like to think I have a bit of the punk rocker in me... perhaps it only comes out with my pink skull rain boots and jeweled skull hair clip, but I don't think there's anything wrong with red hair, if you get good grades. So I really enjoyed talking to Kenny. He drew us a picture and will perhaps draw some for us to bring home. He is a good artist, but focused on 13 year old boy things about destruction and mahem... but boys will be boys.

Lea (2 and 3/4), Annie (9 next month), Stephan (10)and Kenny (13).


So it was really fun to see the much grown niece and nephews. We hope to see them again Sunday.

There was much conversation that ranged from the GPS units to politics. We watched the kids play and we ate grilled steak with asparagus (it is in season here... wait until the next post! It involves the GPS and asparagus too!)

No comments: